More from the Marie Celeste - Grin with cat attached — LiveJournal
|More from the Marie Celeste||Dec. 5th, 2003 02:51 pm|
These are what *I* call them, not what "they're called locally"
1. A body of water, smaller than a river, contained within relatively narrow banks?
2. The thing you push around the grocery store?
3. A metal container to carry a meal in?
[culture error] Mess tin?
4. The thing that you cook bacon and eggs in?
5. The piece of furniture that seats three people?
Sofa (so good)
6. The device on the outside of the house that carries rain off the roof?
7. The covered area outside a house where people sit in the evening?
'Bout the closest I can manage are 'Conservatory' or 'Go-Down'
8. Carbonated, sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages?
9. A flat, round breakfast food served with syrup?
Uh, pancakes, I suppose
10. A long sandwich designed to be a whole meal in itself?
Sub (or possibly filled baguette)
11. The piece of clothing worn by men at the beach?
Trunks or Shorts (or anorak, in this country)
12. Shoes worn for sports?
Trainers. Canvas shoes as for sailing are daps, however.
13. Putting a room in order?
Tidying (or more commonly, nuking)
14. A flying insect that glows in the dark?
15. The little insect that curls up into a ball?
16. The children's playground equipment where one kid sits on one side and goes up while the other sits on the other side and goes down?
17. How do you eat your pizza?
Cut into six - I can never eat eight.
18. What's it called when private citizens put up signs and sell their used stuff?
[culture error] Garage Sale
19. What's the evening meal?
Dinner. Tea if it's cold and earlier or eaten uniquely by persons under 18).
Supper is milk and [cake|biscuits] before bed.
20. The thing under a house where the furnace and perhaps a rec room are?
[culture error] Cellar, but that wouldn't usually be occupied.
21. Oblate ellipsoid of leaven bread, cut, in two, along its major plane and filled with delicatessen goods?
22. Narrow passageway, usually covered, to the back of a terrace of houses?
uh... passage, I guess
23. Hairs which stand on end when an animal is frightened or angry or cold?
24. Bumps on surface of skin which appear around pores when human is frightened or angry or cold?
Goosebumps / gooseflesh
25. Process of infusing water with leaves of tea plant usually in a teapot?
26. Above process left too long such that an excess of bitter substances, mainly tannins, infuse into the drink, so spoiling it?
27. Pot with lid for oven, usually ceramic, for slwoly cooking meat or similar in juices, stock, with vegetables?
ummmmm... me, cook?
28. Can, usually for petrol or water, with handle and screw lid?
29. Animal based term of endearment for people?
30. Hearty cooked breakfast involving eggs, bacon, sausages, black pudding etc?
31. Beast of burden, smaller than a horse, with long ears?
32. Place where people take coal out of the ground?
33. Small, common red and black spotted beetle?